Monday, January 26, 2009

Striking and Relationships

Stress doesn't always bring out the best in people. Our frustration levels are high and our personal debt loads are climbing ever higher. Are we taking this out on each other? Have we started being disrespectful to those with whom we disagree? I know I have. I know my patience is dwindling and that I am lashing out in situations where I would normally take a deep breath and respond politely. I am more anxious and irritable and it is starting to affect my personal relationships. Nurturing my relationships has taken a back seat to the political, social, financial, physical and emotional demands of the strike. I am jumping to the defensive much quicker and I have less time to listen to the concerns of others.

This lack of patience is perfectly normal, but how is it affecting our well-being? Are we allowing it to harm ourselves and others? Are we taking the time to make sure we are sustaining our relationships with our families, friends, colleagues and romantic partners? Taking time for yourself does not mean you are not committed to your political ideology. Taking time for yourself ensures that you can continue to participate and interact with others in a healthy way.

No comments:

Post a Comment